Introduction to Guilden Sutton
Guilden Sutton is a village of 630 properties with about 1660 inhabitants which lies in gently rolling countryside three miles to the east of Chester, and within sight of the Cathedral tower. It has grown substantially over the past century, but remains a rural village, surrounded by fields and totally within the Green Belt. The village name means "the southern homestead in the hollow where the marsh marigolds grow"
The close proximity to Chester, and with its excellent motorway links to Liverpool, Manchester, North Wales and the Potteries means that it has become a dormitory village, but maintains a good community spirit.
A church and a chapel are located in the heart of the "old" part of the village, both of which have halls attached. Sadly the Methodist church has recently closed
There is a very active Community Association, whose Village Hall, opened in 1987 and extended in 1997, was built using money raised from community fundraising activities. The hall is well used by mother-and-toddler groups, for regular stage productions, parties, quizzes and exhibitions.
Guilden Sutton Primary School was rebuilt on a new site in
1990, and maintains an enviable reputation both for the quality of its
teaching and its ambiance.
Other facilities available in our village include a newsagent/post office, general store, beautician, dentist's surgery, two hairdressers and the Bird in Hand public house.
The Parish Council was established in 1895 by Act of Parliament. It is funded by a small precept on the Council Tax, and meets 12 times each year, arranging for a wide range of services to maintain the village's amenity.
Guilden Sutton was mentioned in the Domesday Book. Legend has it that the parish has always been “off the beaten track”, with Roman Roads running close by. Indeed there is a delightful story that Cromwell’s men were unable to find it when they sought to punish the Royalist settlement, and that missing Chester plate is buried under an unspecified oak tree